GMT 1675 Mark 1.5 (also called Mark .5)

springer
Favorite Watch: GMT-Master

GMT 1675 Mark 1.5 (also called Mark .5)

Post by springer »

Below are some photos of the GMT 1675 Mark 1.5 dial which some have referred to as a Mark .5 and possibly some other names elsewhere. This dial closely resembles the Mark I white-lettered dial therefore, at least to me, I have chosen to refer to it as a Mark 1.5 variation.

The significant, or minor differences, between the Mark 1 and the Mark 1.5 dials are the seriffs found on the Mark 1.5 fonts and their absence on the Mark 1 dial. Also, the Mark 1 dial is often referred to as the "long E" dial due to the center bar found on the "E" in Rolex being the same width as the upper and lower bars on this "E." On the Mark 1.5 dial, the center bar on the "E" in ROLEX is not as wide as the upper and lower bars. Another difference when comparing both dials, is the alignment of the fonts which is not exactly the same on each dial - but very close between the two dials.

The Mark 1.5 dial could be an early variation, or even the first variation of the Mark 1 dial, but based on my experience, I am not prepared to agree with this assumption since I have not seen enough of these watches to make that assumption yet. Whatever the case may be, the Mark 1 and Mark 1.5 would be considered early versions for the white-lettered GMT dials - which were produced from around late 1966 to approximately 1970. (Personally, I believe the Mark 0 was the first variation of the white-lettered dials used on GMTs which closely resembles the last gilt dial.)

Below are examples of the Mark 1 dial and several photos of the Mark 1.5 dial found on the internet at watchprosite.com.
Attachments
Mark 1.5.jpg
Mark 1.5.jpg (56.76 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Mark 1.5 dial.JPG
Mark 1.5 dial.JPG (79.42 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Mark 1.5 dial variation.JPG
Mark 1.5 dial variation.JPG (126.6 KiB) Viewed 8300 times
Mark I.sm.jpg
Mark I.sm.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 8300 times